startsida vad är
lite om hur vi jobbar målet med verksamheten praktiska råd medlem länkar kontakta oss

In case of emergency dial 112

What is your relationship like?
How does this affect you?
What can you do about it?
Where can you turn?
Community Information
Swedish Laws
Residence Permit
If you want to leave your partner
Mutual application
If only one of you wants to
Without children
Documentation of injuries
The helpline for victims of crime
Compensation for victims
The Women´s Helpline Terrafem
Visiting Ban
Protected adress
An indication of secrecy
Lingering registration of residance
New identity Feigned personal data
Local information, Örnsköldsvik
The Borough of Örnsköldsvik
The advice centre - Rådgivningsbyrån
The Victoria open rehabilitation - Victoria öppenbehandling
The Family Advice centre - Familjerådgivningen
Women´s Helpline - Kvinnogemenskap in Örnsköldsvik
The helpline for young womengirls-Cayenne
Locale contactlist Örnsköldsvik

    Örnsköldsviks Kvinnojour
Are you a woman?

Do you live in a relationship that frightens you?

Someone to talk to.
You can remain anonymous.

Womens´s Line 070-2700066
The social services 0660-88000
Hospital, Emergency room 0660-89134, 89136
Neighbourhood police 11414
International Women´s Line 020-521010

A lot of women feel that physical or mental abuse is difficult to pinpoint and to talk about. Especially mental abuse. The person exposed to this often wonder if it really is that bad, as there aren´t any physical signs of it, like bruising and/or broken bones, as is the case with physical abuse.
Women who are the victims of mental abuse often find that their biggest problem is that people around them fail to see the severity of their situation. The following questions can help you to identify whether or not you are being abused. There´s also some advice about how to help yourself in solving your problems. You will find more information under the heading: Community Information.

What is your relationship like?
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp
  • Do you feel that there´s something wrong with your relationship, but you can´t quite put your finger on it?
  • Do you feel that your partner controls your life?
  • Do you feel that your partner doesn´t respect your thoughts and feelings?
  • Does your partner go to any lengths to win an argument, f. ex. does he demean you, threaten you or frighten you?
  • Does your partner get angry or jealous if you talk to someone else? Does he accuse you of being unfaithful?
  • Do you feel that nothing you do is right in the eyes of your partner?
  • Does your partner tell you, that it´s your own fault if he hits you?
  • Does he tell you that nobody else would want you and that you should be grateful to him for looking after you?
  • Does he hold you accountable for every minute of your day?
  • If you come home a little late, are you afraid of how he will react?
  • When you try to talk to him about your problems, does he call you names, such as bitch, slut, whore or idiot?
  • Does he stop you from going to work or to your school, or does he stop you from learning Swedish?
  • Does your partner threaten to divorce you or to send you back to your native country?
  • If you want to spend any money, does he hold you accountable for every krona, or does he tell you that you don´t deserve any money?
  • Do you consent to sexual intercourse even though you don´t want to, because you´re afraid he´ll get angry with you if you say no?
  • Does he insist on having “making-it-up” sex after you´ve had an argument?
  • Does your partner threaten you by saying you´ll never see your children again if you leave him?
  • Does he get angry if you phone a femail friend?
  • Do you get the blame for everything that goes wrong?
How does this affect you?  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp
  • Do you find it difficult, or are you afraid of making your own decisions?
  • Do you do anything to try to satisfy your partner, or do you try to pacify him?
  • Do you make excuses for your partner to people around you?
  • Do you have a lack of memory, or do you feel confused or find it difficult to concentrate?
  • Have you noticed any changes in your relationship to food, medicines, alcohol or drugs and do you suffer from sleepingdisorders?
  • Have you lost the interest in or the energy to do things you used to enjoy doing?
  • Do you often feel ill, worried, tired or depressed?
  • Have you lost touch with your friends, family or with your neighbours?
  • Have you lost your self-confidense and fear you would´t be able to manage on your own?
What can you do about it? list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp
  • Physical and mental abuse is a serious problem as well as a crime.There is help avaliable to you.
  • Mental abuse is as serious as physical abuse.
  • Take the security and wellfare of you and your children very seriously.
  • Mental abuse can lead to physical abuse, even death.
  • Your partner´s behaviour is not your fault.
  • Contact people you feel you can talk to and turn to for support. Consider going to see f.ex. a curator or a well-fare officer for advice.
  • Try to find a person who really listens to you and takes your situation seriously. Don´t give up if it takes you a bit of time to find that special person.
  • You have the right to make your own decisions when you feel ready to do so.
  • It takes time to go through all the motions of being abused and finding a way out of it. Give yourself all the time you need.
  • Beleive in yourself and what you´ve been through. Beleive in your own strength. Remember that you, yourself, possess the ultimate knowledge and the strength within you and that you already own the means you need to survive.
Where can you turn? list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp
  • The Women´s Helpline - Kvinnojouren, is there for you and your children. It will help women who are mentally and/or physically abused. You can be anonymous when you phone the helpline if you want to. The women who work there have taken a vow of silence. Have a look in your local phonebook or visit or on the internet, to find a helpline close to you.
  • Anyone who´s been the subject of violence can turn to the nearest healthcare centre- vårdcentral-or a hospital emercency room, gynaecological clinic or psychiatric clicic to receive medical or psychiatric help.
  • Any injuries you might have incured should be documented as soon as possible so your rights can be upheld in the best possible way, now or in the future.
  • Terrafem is a national and international women´s helpline. You can phone them if your native language is other than Swedish.
  • The Police have staff that are specially trained to deal with rapports. You can turn to your nearest police station. A rapport can also be made on the phone or by writing them a letter
  • If you´re considering to leave your partner, it´s probably a good idéa to consult a solicitor or a lawyer, especially if you have children. Have a look in your insurance-papers if your home-insurance policy cover legal fees. If not, there´s a chanse you can receive legal aid from the government to cover any costs you may occur. The lawyer you consult can help you to sort this out. Before you engage a lawyer, you should phone the Swedish Bar association: 08-459 03 00, to make sure there are no complaints lodged against him/her.
  • You will find more information under the heading Community Information.
  • You will also find more information about local places to turn to at the end of this document, under the heading Local contactlist.

Community Information  Samhällsinformation list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The texts below are short summaries. References will be given to areas of specific interest to you and we urge you to contact these for more detailed information. You will find a list of current phone numbers and adresses in the Borough of Örnsköldsvik at the end of the texts.

Swedish Laws
 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

Swedish laws apply to everyone visiting the country. Every man and every woman are equal in the eyes of the law. In Sweden, a woman has the right to say no to sexual intercourse. This applys even within a marriage. Infringements, such as female cirkumcision, is not allowed in Sweden. It´s classified as abuse.Many countries differentiate between chastism, violence and abuse. In many countries these methods are accepted to solve problems.
In Sweden, it´s forbidden for a man to hit or threaten his wife or children. It´s classified as abuse. It´s classed as such, if you smack someones cheek with the palm of your hand or threaten to do so.The use of any kind of violence to bring your children up is not accepted in Sweden, but classified as abuse. So is grave infringements on women, sexual abuse, unlawful threats, molestation etc.These are crimes statuated in the criminal code and can be punished by imprisonment.For more information you can turn to your local police station or

Residence Permit  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

When a woman comes to Sweden because she has a relationship to someone already living in the country, she will be granted a time-limited residence permit.
An extention of this will only be granted if the relationship is of a permanent nature. If the relationship ends within two years after having received the permit, she has to leave the country. Permanent residancy can be grantet after two years. There is one exception to this rule. A residential permit can be grantet to a woman who´s relationship has ended within the two years because she or her children have been submitted to mental or physical abuse.
It is paramount that the abuse is well documented in some way, f.ex. by witnesses, doctors or by the police.
A woman who has yet to receive permanent residancy and is the subject of abuse, should be able to leave her partner without the risk of being deported.
For more information, please turn to the Immigrant authority – Migrationsverket – on phone no: 011-15 60 00 or

If you want to leave your partner
 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you´re considering to leave your partner, it´s advisable to consult a lawyer, especially if you have children. Check with your insurace company if your home-insurance policy cover legal fees. If not, there´s a chanse you can receive legal aid from the government to cover any costs you may occur. Questions about this can be answered by the lawyer. Umeå legal helpline-Umeå Juridikjour- will give you free advice on
tuesdays between 18.00-21.00 on phone no: 090-77 97 00. Terrafem also have a legal help-line. They have ten lawyers with foreign backgrounds who between them speak fifteen different languages. If you want to get in touch with any of these, please call Terrafem´s help-line, phone no: 020-52 10 10, and tell them in which language you wish to speak, and they´ll get back to you.Before you engage a lawyer, you should phone the Swedish Bar association, to make sure there are no complaints lodged against him/her.

 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

Mutual application  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you´re married and want to divorce your husband, you must turn to the district court house-Tingsrätten. If you and your husband are in agreement, you can fill in a form together and send it together with divorce- identity forms to the court. These identity forms you´ll obtain from the tax-authority-Skattemyndigheten. When you submit your application to the court, you´ll have to pay a fee and you´ll have to state your names and your civic personal numbers. Information about the fee you can obtain from the court in the borough you´re
registred in.

If only one of you wants to divorce list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

In case only one of you wants to divorce, you should turn to your local tax-authority office to obtain the divorce identity forms. Once you have these, write a letter to the court, stating from whom you want a divorce, including his name and his civic personal-number. After that, the same rules apply as for a mutually consented divorce.

 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If there are children under the age of 16 in your family or if both you and your husband request time for consideration, the court can´t decree a divorce between you until six months have passed. When you have submittet your application, you´ll eventually receive a message from the court. It will tell you from what date the consideration time starts and which are the earliest and the latest dates you´ll be able to go ahead with your application for divorce. It will also state the number of your case. To be able to go ahead with the divorce after the consideration time, you´ll have to submitt an application form together with new divorce identity forms to the court, confirming that you wish to do so.If neither of you go ahead with an application within a year from the date your consideration time started, the case will be dismissed by the court and you´ll remain married

Without children
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If there are no children under the age of 16 in your family, the court can decree a divorce between you without the time for consideration. They can also do so if you have lived apart for at least two years whether there are children under 16 or not. If you have lived apart for at least two years, you will need to prove this by f.ex. producing papers from the borough in which you are registred. Identification forms for divorce you can obtain from your local tax-authority office or from the National tax-authority´s service phone: 020-567 000. Bear in mind, that if you order the papers on the phone, they will be sent to your home adress.Application forms for divorce, you can obtain from the local district court house-Tingsrätten-or from under the heading “blanketter” on the internet.For more information about it all, please contact the court or the tax-authority office in the borough you´re registred in or visit and on the internet.

Documentation of injuries list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you´ve been the victim of a crime, you should get any injuries documented as soon as possible. The best way to do this is to turn to the nearest healthcare centre,a hospital´s emergency room, gynaecological or psychiatric clinic. Within the healthcare system, you can be assured that you will be met by people who have a vast experience of these types of injuries. You´ll be given the opportunity to talk to the staff on your own about everything that´s happened to you. They have taken a vow of silence. If you need one, a female interpreter will be called upon to help you. You can also have a woman from the Women´s helpline present during your examination if you want to. These women have also taken a vow of silence. Within the healthcare, you should also be offered the possibility of seeing a curator. By calling: 118 118, you´ll get the phone number and the adress of your nearest hospital. In an emergency call 112.

Policerapport   list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you´ve been the victim of a crime, you should rapport this to the police as soon as possible. It may seem like a big step to take and you may hesitate to do so at the time, but you might want to do so in, say one or two years time. It is then vital that you have as much documentation as possible, of things that have occured in the past. This can verify your story.
The police have specially trained staff to deal with this kind of rapports. You can turn to your nearest police station, you can also make your rapport on the phone or by writing them a letter. You are under no obligation to rapport a crime, but it´s often necessary to enable you to have your rights upheld.
When you submit a rapport, the police will make an investigation. Unless they questioned you when you made the rapport, they will do so now. The person who committed the crime will also be heard, and so will anyone who may be a witness. You are allowed to have someone supporting you present during this hearing and in any future hearing in a court of law. It´s up to you to decide if you want to have somebody there with you and you decide on who that person is. If you don´t have anybody, you can turn to the Women´s helpline, the helpline for Victims of crime or to the social-service office in your borough, and they will help you.
If you need to, you have the right to have a female interpreter present throughout the whole proceedure.

You can get more information from your local Policestation or on In an emergency call 112.

The helpline for victims of crime
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The National Federation for Vitims of crime-Brottsoffer-Jouren is an non-profit making organisation. BOJ have about 100 offices covering all of the police districts in the country. As a victim, all of the helplines will provide you with advice and support free of charge.
You will get someone to talk to about the things you´ve been through, someone who will support you, a support-person. They can also help you to contact all sorts of various authorities and guide you through the whole legal process. Several of the helplines also have trained staff to help and support the victim ( the plaintiff) as well as any witnesses who have been called upon to a court hearing.

All of the support-people have been carefully selected and they have taken a vow of silence.
You can get more information by Brottsofferjouren on:
0200-21 20 19 or on internet

Compensation for victims  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you´ve been the victim of any kind of crime, be it battery, sexual abuse, violation, unlawful threat or any infringement, you could have the right to economic compensation. It´s called Brottskadeersättning. If the person who has committed a crime against you doesn´t have the means to pay the compensation to you and if there´s no insurance to cover your injuries, you may have the right to receive the compensation from the government, the State. That can also apply if the offender is unknown. The compensation is foremost paid to cover personal injuries and infringements. The crime should normally have been rapported to the police. You can get more information from:Brottsoffermyndigheten, phone no. 090-70 82 00 or

The Women´s Helpline
  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The women´s helpline-Kvinnojouren is there to help you and your children. They will help women who are mentally and/or physically abused. The helpline has years of experience of working with women who are, or have been, the victims of violence. Their aim is to help, support and protect abused women or if they live under the threat of being abused. The women you´ll encounter there have taken a vow of silence so they are not allowed to talk about you or your family to anybody outside of the organisation. You can be anonymous if you want to. If you turn to them, they can amongst other things help you with lodgings in one of their secret flats, somewhere i your town. If it seems necessary, it´s possible for them
to have you transferred to another place in Sweden.

To find a helpline office close to you, you can contact the social-services office in the borough you´re in and they will help you to find the nearest one. Or have a look on the internet, ou

Terrafem  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

Terrafem is an international and national helpline that specializes in helping women with a foreign background. There you will be offered the possibility of speaking your own language with a woman of the same cultural background as yourself. Currently, Terrafem have women who speak about 35 different native languages between them.

The Women´s helpline can help you to get in touch with them or you can phone them yourself on phone no: 020-52 10 10. The call to them can not be seen on your phonebill and it doesn´t cost you anything.

The women in Terrafem have also taken a vow of silence. More information about them you´ll find on:

Visiting Ban
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

It´s often the case, that the women who suffer are being abused, harassed and threatened by their present or former husband, cohabitee, boyfriend, Father, brother or by some other relative. In Sweden, we have a thing called a Visitingban-Besöksförbud. Normally it means that whoever´s threatening or harassing you, is forbidden to see you or take any kind of contact with you, be it by phone, letter, e-mail, sms, through a messenger or whatever.
The visitingban has a time-limit, usually a year at the most, but in can be extended by a year at a time.

Any violation of this ban, can be punished with a fine or by imprisonment for up to one year.
If you want a visitingban to be imposed on someone or if you have any questions about it, you can turn to your local police station or to the nearest Chamber of Prosecution

Safetypackage  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

For some, the situation can be of such a serious nature, that a safetypackageis necessary. It contains a mobile phone, an assault alarm and an ansaphone.You can apply for this package from the police

Protected adress
 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If you need to keep your adress or any other information about you secret, because of threats or harassements, you can apply for this at your local tax-authority office. There are two different ways of protecting your adress.

An indication of secrecy
 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) to the top

This means that any information about you, is not allowed to be given to anybody who isn´t entitled to it. Information in the Civic register of residancy, is normally official and daily transferred to other central authorities. If you want to apply for an indication of secrecy, you´ll have to do so at the tax-authority office in the borough you are registred. The application must be in writing and contain your civic personal number, name and adress and a detailed account of why you want the information about you be kept a secret. Your reasons should be confirmed and substantiated by f.ex. a social authority, the police,
or by a court-order issued by a court of law or a prosecutor, having granted you a visitorsban.An application form can be found at any tax-authority office. If you´re granted the indication, you can have your telephone subscription kept secret by Telia. Call them on:
020-55 66 44. If you do have the indication of secrecy, it is very important that you keep the tax-authority informed of any change of adress or move you make.

Lingering registration of residance
 list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

Kvarskrivning is an other way of keeping your adress a secret. You have to apply for this in writing at your local tax-authority office. It means that you, after your application, can be allowed to remain registred in your previous borough for up to three years. Your actual where-abouts or adress will not be seen in the national civic registration ledgers. It will state that you are registred by the Parish and your adress will be refered to the local tax-authority´s adress in your previous borough. All of your post will be sent to them. The manager of that office will have your actual adress in safe-keeping and will forward your post to you. You can find more information about the Indication of secrecy and lingering registration from your local tax-authority office or on

New identity Feigned personal data  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

If the threat of persecution of you is of a very grave nature and when the other means of protecting you aren´t sufficient, you can be given a new identity for up to five years. You will be given a new name and a new civic registration number. You apply to the National Police Authority. Phone that authority for more information (Rikspolisstyrelsen) on: 08-40 11 000. You will come to their switchboard, ask to speak to someone about a new identity to obtain this mean of protection.

Local information, Örnsköldsvik  list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The Borough of Örnsköldsvik
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

Within the borough of Örnsköldsvik, there are a number of authorities you can turn to if you need help

The advice centre - Rådgivningsbyrån list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

This is where you turn if you have any questions conserning any kind of misuse. You can be anonymous if you want to and normally you can get an appointment to see someone for a personal meeting within a week.
You can go on your own or together with a relative or a next of kin. Among other things, the advice centre can offer you:
Consultation in private, together with your family or with the children.
Individual plans of rehabilitation.For more informaton, call Rådgivningsbyrån on:
0660-888 30 or 0660-888 28

The Victoria open rehabilitation - Victoria öppenbehandling
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

At the Victoria rehab, you can get help if you have a problem with misuse and addiction to alcohol and/or drugs/pills. They will help you to understand how this problem affects the individual and the surroundings. For more information, please call: 0660-888 31.

The Family Advice centre - Familjerådgivningen
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The Family advice centre is an independant organisation built on a voulantry basis and it´s strictly confidential. You can be anonymous if you want to. The organisation is under no obligation to document any cases. Their main task is to participate in talks together with parties who are involved in a crisis or a conflict, f.ex. between a couple or within a family, and try to help them to solve their problems. For more information, please call: 0660-888 87 or 0660-886 89.

Women´s Helpline - Kvinnogemenskap - in Örnsköldsvik
list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

The Women´s helpline-Kvinnojouren-in Örnsköldsvik is a non-profit making organisation. We have been operating since 1983. In many towns the activity is run openly but in Örnskölsvik we have chosen to work in a confidential manner, which means our adress is secret.
Women irrespective of nationality, religion or social status, are subjects of abuse by men they know. The woman´s helpline is there for these women, to help and support them by listening to them, advice them or offer them accomodation in our sheltered flat. Our aim is to help any abused or threatened woman who turns to us for help, protection and support. Our work is built upon respect and empathy for the human beeing. We don´t hate men, but we take exception to the actions and behaviour of some men. We want the women who turn to us, to feel that they are respected, that they receive the help they need and that they will feel strenghtened as a woman. We don´t want to make them feel that they are being influenced or dictated by us, we want to support them in whatever decision they make, be it considering a divorce, to make a rapport to the police or anything they want. The active helpline woman, pledges to never talk about the women she comes into contact with to anybody outside of the organisation.If you or anybody you know, need some advice or help, please contact us. You can reach us on the phone, 24 h. a day. Phone: 070-270 00 66 or 0660-841 97.
E-mail adress: Internet:

Local contactlist in Örnsköldsvik list_stigande.gif (54 bytes) upp

  • Women´s helpline in Örnsköldsvik, 24 h a day,
    phone no: 070-270 00 66 or
    0660-841 97.
  • The Police in Örnsköldsvik.
    Switchboard phone: 11414
    0660-793 23 - fax
    Adress: Nytorgsgatan 1, Örnsköldsvik
    Openinghours: on weekdays 09.00-15.00,
    thursdays 09.00-18.00
  • Örnsköldsvik´s Hospital
    Open weekdays 07.30-17.00
    Switchboard phone: 0660-890 00
    The Emergencyroom is open 24 h, phone: 0660-891 34,89136
  • The Gynaecological clinic
    Open weekdays 08.00-17.00.
    Phone no: 0660-893 30
    The psychiatric clinic
    Open weekdays 08.00-17.00.
    Phone no: 0660-897 00
  • Healthcare centres
    Open weekdays 08.00-17.00
    Ankaret 0660-29 27 10
    Domsjö 0660-29 26 20
    Själevad 0660-575 60
    Bjästa 0660-899 53
    Bredbyn 0661-65 41 01
    Husum 0663-199 20
  • Healhcare information: 24 h 1177
    Jourcentralen: 1177
    Dentist on-duty: 1177
  • The borough Care unit for Individuals and families
    Kommunens Individ- och familjeomsorg:
    Open weekdays
    switchboard 0660-88000
  • The borough Family advice centre
    Phone no 0660-886 87,88689
  • The borough advice centre, misuse unit
    Phone no: 0660-888 30,88828
  • The borough immigration office
    Phone no: 0660-880 00
  • The district court house
    Phone no: 0660-873 50
  • The tax-authority, Örnsköldsvik Phone no: 0771-778 778
    The tax-authority servicephone: 020-567 000
  • The victims of crime helpline
    Phone no: 0200-21 20 19
  • The victims of crime authority Phone no: 0090-70 82 00
  • Terrafem
    International and national women´s helpline
    Phone no: 020-52 10 10
  • Umeå legal advice helpline, will give you free legal advice on tuesdays
    and wednesdays 18.00-21.00.
    Phone no: 090-779700

    Before you engage a lawyer, you should phone the Swedish Bar association: 08-459 03 00, to make sure no complaints has been lodged against him/her.The Women´s helpline i Örnsköldsvik reccommend: Marie Tors, of the lawfirm Abersten HB, phone no: 0660-153 75.
© örnsköldsviks kvinnojour 2004-04-26, tel 070-270 00 66 eller 0660-841 97,